- Free File – prepare and file your federal income tax return for free using tax preparation and filing software.
- Where’s My Refund? – is an online tool that will track your tax refund. You will need your Social security number or ITIN, your filing status and your exact refund amount to use the tool.
- Online Payment Agreements – you can apply for a payment plan online to pay off your balance over time.
- IRS2Go mobile app – Check your refund status, make a payment, find free tax preparation assistance, sign up for helpful tax tips, and more!
- Online Account – use this tool to view: Your payoff amount, updated for the current calendar day, the balance for each tax year for which you owe, up to 24 months of your payment history and key information from your current tax year return as originally filed.
It is often said that there are few things in life more frustrating and stressful than taxes; then the COVID-19 pandemic came. Hopefully, there will be more individual and business relief at the state and federal level for losses and expenses as a result of this crises. In the meantime, it is important for taxpayers to prepare for the inevitable tax season. There is information from the IRS about filing extensions, late payments, and e-filing taxes.Peter Abbarno, is an attorney with a Master of Laws in Taxation from the University of Washington, Centralia Mayor Pro Tem, and Candidate for the State House of Representatives in the 20th Legislative District.
E-file Your Extension
Individual tax filers, regardless of income, can use Free File to electronically request an automatic tax-filing extension.
- Filing this form gives you until Oct. 15 to file a return.
- To get the extension, you must estimate your tax liability on this form and should also pay any amount due.
Extension for Quarterly Estimated Tax Payments
You can also get an extension by paying all or part of your estimated income tax due and indicate that the payment is for an extension using Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS), or a credit or debit card. This way you won’t have to file a separate extension form and you will receive a confirmation number for your records.
File an Extension
Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
Business and Corporations
- Form 7004, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File Certain Business Income Tax, Information, and Other Returns
- Form 1138, Extension of Time for Payment of Taxes by a Corporation Expecting a Net Operating Loss Carryback
- Form 2350, Application for Extension of Time to File U.S. Income Tax Return (For U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad Who Expect To Qualify for Special Tax Treatment)
- Form 4768, Application for Extension of Time to File a Return and/or Pay U.S. Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Taxes
- Form 5558, Application for Extension of Time to File Certain Employee Plan Returns
- Form 8809, Application for Extension of Time to File Information Returns
- Form 8868, Application for Extension of Time To File an Exempt Organization Return.
- Form 8892, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File Form 709 and/or Payment of Gift/Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax